Sunday, September 21, 2014

Oh Happy Day!

I haven't even started typing and I already have tears streaming down my face. Oliver has not had chemo for 2 months and his counts are stable. HIS COUNTS ARE STABLE! I know I haven't posted for a while, so let me back up a bit...When Oliver was diagnosed with HLH we knew the chance of him needing a bone marrow transplant to live was over 99%. When the chemo beat his immune system down to nothing Oliver's medical team scheduled a transplant meeting to answer our questions and tell us what to expect during and after transplant. At this point there was no scientific proof that he needed a whole new immune system. In retrospect I think it was foolish but Sean and I decided we would not transplant unless we knew for SURE, without a doubt that Oliver needed it to survive. Some of Oliver's doctors couldn't believe we would take such a risk and others supported us-and here we are! Oliver has a lab draw on Tuesday and if his counts are still good they are removing his PICC line. This means we will be free to go home! (I'm totally crying again!) He's been weaning off his meds and should be off everything by the end of October. We have some serious work to do before he can get rid of the feeding tube, but I'm up to the challenge. :)  Oliver will still need to be monitored closely with blood work and special attention if he gets a fever-but they said the word home...HOME!

So our newest problem is no longer medical-and I'm unbelievably happy to have this kind of problem-we gave up our house and our jobs to be here with Oliver over the last 8 months. We don't have a 'home' to go back to. I lowered our goal fundraising amount to reflect what I think we need to get on our feet. If you have anything extra to give we could really use it...OLIVER DID IT!

1 comment: