Saturday, May 3, 2014

Something to think about...

Walking through the all too familiar halls of Seattle Children's Hospital this morning I passed sick children. I passed parents, siblings, grandparents, friends and other visitors. In the elevator I rode silently with parents who had obviously just begun their journey here. I knew because they were silent, and their caregiver badges only had a couple daily stickers.. I felt the urge to tell them it would get easier. I wanted to offer them some sort of reassurance but I couldn't. I don't know why they are here, or what the child they love so dearly is facing.

As we stepped off the elevator and parted ways I thought about all the families here.
All the paths.
All the love...and the fear.

In the midst of it all I watch parents running down the hall juggling balloons and stuffed animals while their child sits in a wagon with a huge grin and holds on tightly. I see moms reassure children who have spilled their coffee (probably MUCH needed and over priced coffee at that) and fathers who are racing their sick kids down the hall on bikes while dragging a pole that is providing their child's life saving medications.

It struck me that the friends and families supporting the children in this hospital never imagined they would end up here. In just about every story I've heard they families didn't expect to be at Seattle Children's. I just wanted to remind all of you to hug your loved ones a little tighter every once in a while. Be patient. Don't forget to say I love you...and to read that bedtime story again (even if you already know it by heart). One of my favorite memories from my childhood is my dad reading me the poem 'Winkin, Blinkin and Nod'...he read it every time I asked-and I still know it by heart! :) We never know where life will take us...hold on tight. Smile and laugh and sing and dance. The dishes can wait.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, Heather. All of your posts are so eloquent and touching.

    ReplyDelete